Aristocratic Castle of 16th Century in Edinburgh
Located in the city centre
Offer around: £6 million
A rare opportunity to purchase a stunning 16th Century castle set in 1.78 hectares (4.4 acres) of grounds, all within 3 miles of the centre of the Capital City of Edinburgh, next to a Scottish top private school and a golf court, indicative of huge appreciation potential. The 16th Century aristocratic castle consists of peripheral independent office buildings and apartments, combining classical and modern, domestic and commercial perfectly.
- Potential to create 2 Principal Reception Rooms, Study, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Cinema Room, Games Room, Utility Room, Gymnasium, 2 Cloakrooms with W/C, Self Contained Staff Flat, Master bedroom with Master En-suite and separate Dressing Room and Study, 4 further Double Bedrooms with En-suite Bathrooms, Lift to all floors, Access to viewing tower.
- Stables with potential, subject to planning permission, for conversion to garaging with additional staff accommodation above.
- Gatehouse offering 2 bedroom accommodation that could be demolished and redesigned with potential to offer extensive modern living accommodation.
- Extensive Grounds including walled gardens extending up to 1.78 hectares (4.4 acres).
Built originally in 1542 by William Adamson, it was transferred through a number of owners before John Strachan, Writer to the Signet, acquired the castle and left it to the Craigcrook Mortification Trust in 1719. In 1835 the castle was extensively remodelled by WH Playfair. During its time Craigcrook has played host to a number of famous visitors and has strong links to the literary world including Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Anderson, George Eliot and Alfred Lord Tennyson.
The Castle is set within extensive grounds of 1.78 hectares (4.4 acres) which comprise landscaped gardens, mature woodland and attractive lawns set within the original walled garden. Given its close proximity to the city centre the garden offers a very quiet and peaceful retreat from the fast paced life of the Capital.
The property consists of three major components, the main castle, a commercial office building and an independent gate house. The main castle contains 3 layers, reception hall, entertaining room, meeting room, study room and luxury bedroom.
Abundant investment reward brings you instant profit:
- The manor cottage at the entrance of the castle can be refurnished and rent as 6 one-bedroom flats, with an annual income around 36,000 pounds.
- The independent commercial office building outside the manor is well-furnished and ready to be rent as offices, with an area of 840 square meters, enough for 210 office units, implying an annual income of about 504,000 pounds.
- Maintenance and other expenses cost about 200,000 pounds per year. Therefore, apart from owning the aristocratic castle, you can also receive an annual additional income of about 340,000 pounds.
UUCL, Catchpell House Business Centre, Bernard Street, Edinburgh, EH6 6SP, UK
Registered in UK, Company No. 5465940, COPYRIGHT@UUCL, 2005